Did you know that according to research by Zenger Folkman, women outscored men significantly in 12 of the 16 leadership competencies that top leaders exemplify most?
- Takes Initiative
- Practices Self-Development
- Displays High Integrity and Honesty
- Drives for Results
- Develops Others
- Inspires and Motivates Others
- Builds Relationships
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Establishes Stretch Goals
- Champions Change
- Solves Problems and Analyzes Issues
- Communicates Powerfully and Prolifically
(Both men and women scored similarly on: Connects the Group to the Outside World; Innovates; and Technical or Professional Expertise; and men scored higher in: Develops Strategic Perspective.)
And yet the vast majority of top management and executive roles are filled by men. What amazing talent the world is missing out on!
Why do you think that today we still don’t see many women in the most senior roles? Do you personally aspire to be a leader? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.